1. Download the ISO and copy it to the /ISO folder on your USB drive (note: if you copy it to a different folder be sure to change the from= entry too - beware - the path and filename are CASE SENSITIVE!)
2. Install grub4dos on the USB drive if you haven't already done so (use the RMPrepUSB - Install grub4dos button)
3. Add one of the following menus to your menu.lst file (press F4 in RMPrepUSB to load menu.lst into Notepad)
#The iso file must be in the /ISO folder on the USB drive (paths are case sensitive!)
2. Download and install RMPrepUSB v2.1.630 or later
3. Slax requires syslinux version 3 - Run RMPrepUSB and press F3 to open Explorer at the RMPrepUSB folder - open the Syslinux - Syslinux_3.86 folder and copy the syslinux.exe file to the RMPrepUSB folder - this will overwrite the current syslinux.exe (which is version 4) with version 3.86. Now the Install Syslinux button on RMPrepUSB will install v3.86 instead of version 4 when it is used.
4. Set up RMPrepUSB to format and prepare your USB drive as in the picture below. Be sure to use FAT32 and to select the downloaded ISO file in section 5 - click 6 Prepare Drive.
Click on the Choose Folder/File button and say 'Yes' to extract files from the ISO - then select the ISO file.
5. Now click on Install Syslinux and choose option 1 (you can say no to the -r Raid option if you like).
6. Now press F11 or click on the Run QEMU button to test the USB drive - it should boot to Slax (type startx to run the Desktop):
If you boot from the ISO then persistence will not work. Slax looks for \xxx\*.sb (where xxx is the 'from' directory). That folder is then set as the 'base' folder and Slax will then look for a 'changes' folder under it which is writeable and NOT NTFS.
To get persistence to work you need a FAT32 USB bootable drive.
Extract the ISO /slax folder to your USB FAT32 drive and rename the \slax folder to something unique - e.g. slax708_32 for the 32-bit version of 7.0.8
\slax708_32\changes (changes.dat will be made for persistence changes)
\slax708_32\01-core.sb, 02-xorg.sb etc. etc.
# /slax708_32/changes/ folder must exist for persistence to work (not NTFS!)
title SLAX 7 persistent \n Run Slax with persistent changes (NO PERSISTENCE IF NTFS)