Slax booted within the QEMU emulator using RMPrepUSB.
1. Download the ISO and copy it to the /ISO folder on your USB drive (note: if you copy it to a different folder be sure to change the from= entry too - beware - the path and filename are CASE SENSITIVE!)
2. Install grub4dos on the USB drive if you haven't already done so (use the RMPrepUSB - Install grub4dos button)
3. Add the following text to your menu.lst file (press F4 to load it in Notepad)
4. Press F11 to try it out under the QEMU emulator.
These instructions will create a new USB flash drive (or USB Hard drive) and install the Syslinux bootloader onto it.
1. Download the Slax ISO v6.1.2 from the Slax website
2. Download and install RMPrepUSB v2.1.630 or later
3. Slax requires syslinux version 3 - Run RMPrepUSB and press F3 to open Explorer at the RMPrepUSB folder - open the Syslinux - Syslinux_3.86 folder and copy the syslinux.exe file to the RMPrepUSB folder - this will overwrite the current syslinux.exe (which is version 4) with version 3.86. Now the Install Syslinux button on RMPrepUSB will install v3.86 instead of version 4 when it is used.
4. Set up RMPrepUSB to format and prepare your USB drive as in the picture below. Be sure to use FAT32 and to select the downloaded ISO file in section 5 - click 6 Prepare Drive.
Click on the Choose Folder/File button and say 'Yes' to extract files from the ISO - then select the ISO file.
5. Now click on Install Syslinux and choose option 1 (you can say no to the -r Raid option if you like).
6. Now press F11 or click on the Run QEMU button to test the USB drive - it should boot to Slax (type startx to run the Desktop):