005 - CHROMIUMOS - a browser OS on a USB Stick
Ever wondered what Chromium OS was like? Why not try it. You can install it to a USB Flash Memory drive and then boot from the USB drive to try it. Here is how:
Or try the latest Hexxeh Lime build which has extra hardware drivers added from here (currently discontinued!). e.g. ChromeOS-Lime-2237.0.2012_07_08_1610-rccf8f959.img requires 2 GB USB drive.
- Download the latest USB version from here - use the 'Download the USB image' large button
- Use 7Zip or anything similar to unpack the .img file from the downloaded .tar.gz file
- Insert a USB drive of at least 2GB in capacity
- Run RMPrepUSb and choose 'File-->USB', then select the img file you just unpacked (e.g. ChromeOS-Flow.img) - choose 0 as start byte, 0 as USB start sector, 0 as file length.
- When the copy has finished click on the Eject button
Now go try it! Login with Username=facepunch, password=facepunch.
Note: Most emulators will not work - use real hardware!
Yet another Chromium OS
Note: This ISO won't run if the date is not 2011 (change the date using your BIOS Setup menu first or use Easy2Boot 'change date' .mnu)!
Very quick to boot Chromium OS + Ubuntu. Has update features built in.
1. Download and mount ISO
2. Extract ISO contents to a USB drive previously formatted using RMPrepUSB (FAT32) and Install grub4dos.
3. Add following to a menu.lst menu file
title Chromium syslinux for USB
kernel /k1010 acpi=off CX_ROOT_MEDIA_TYPE=USB xforcevesa